In January, I wrote “So, welcome to 2014, the year of creative immersion” and then promptly was derailed by all of the non-creative bits of my life. If you’re a person who, like me, thrives on creative activities, then you know the tune and how disheartening it can be. I know I’d been away from it for too long when simply inventorying the products for Harvest Moon Designs felt like a vacation. Normally, inventorying is about as far from fun as I can stand to be. Yet, it was nice just to see things that I’d made and be reminded of the creative process.
It’s time to get back on track again. My Etsy shop has been growing cobwebs in my absence, so I’m trying to give it a little TLC and get it restocked in time for holiday shopping (hence the reason for inventorying). I’m also attempting to get back into a daily creative practice, even if it’s only a few minutes at a time.
I’m re-posting my list of 2014 creative goals as a reminder to myself what I’ve done and where I need to focus (while simultaneously attempting to cure insomnia in my readers).
- Write at least 200,000 words – 100,000 each of fiction/poetry and non-fiction – As of right now, the count is approximately 27,000 fiction and 10,800 non-fiction. After January, I fell off the writing wagon and haven’t really been able to climb back on. I do plan to participate in NaNoWriMo again this year and if successful, will at least get my fiction word count closer to goal.
- Quilt or crochet at least 4 new blankets for charity – One down.
- Create 24 new paintings or drawings – Two sketches down.
- Make at least 10 new pieces of jewelry – No progress on this one.
- Create a new batch of wands for my Etsy shop – I have approximately fifty wands in various states of completion. This is my big push right now, as I want to get these up in time for Halloween shopping.
- Take at least 50 decent photos to share – If pictures of my cats count, I’m almost there.
- Finish at least 5 items from the Abandoned Projects Pile – Let’s just say they’re still abandoned at the moment.
- Crocheted vest
- Blue patch-work throw
- Photo pendants for the shop
- Woodland Santa cross-stitch
- Autumn themed full-sized quilt
That’s where things are at the moment. With any luck, I’ll have at least one creative project to post about in the next few weeks.
Hope you’re all finding time to feed the creative fires.